Monday, June 22, 2015

Weather update

Well, it certainly looks like I nearly spooked myself over nothing.  I've looked at the weather, and hot and dry for the 10 day forecast in the area looks pretty solid.  In fact, too hot, if it sticks, although to be fair, my weather report was from every town around the perimeter of the Uintas I could find; I'll obviously be up higher than Kamas, or Evanston, or Mountain Home, etc.  But still; word is out that the Uintas are melting out fast, and since I still have a solid week before I'm there, I can hope to see very little snow fields other than in secluded hollows, and with any luck, maybe not even we won't see too much mud or bogs or mosquitoes.  Not that we won't be prepared for that anyway, but one can hope.

But after some last minute anxiety, I've decided to stick with my initial plan after all.  We'll see how it goes.  In the meantime, I've got a fair bit of tasks to complete prior to leaving, including (but not necessarily limited to):

  • spraying our hiking clothes with permethrin and letting them dry.
  • buying most of our hiking food.
  • repackaging our hiking food
  • packing our packs
  • packing what we'll need for the driving days
  • getting a haircut
  • charging up the camera battery
  • reviewing the driving route with my son so he can help as navigator
  • reviewing the hiking route with him too, for the same reason
  • review the Backpacking merit badge requirements so I can kill that bird with the same stone that I'm using to go on a backpacking trip that I want to go on anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment