Friday, October 24, 2014

Wild

I kinda sorta wanted to see the movie Wild coming up soon.  I "follow" the PCTA (Pacific Crest Trail Association) on facebook, so I've seen lots of promotional propaganda about it.

I tried to read the book, believing it to be a book about hiking the PCT.  It turns out, of course, that it's a book about a fundamentally unlikable person dealing with the totally predictable consequences of a string of really terrible choices that she's made, and her coming to peace with them.  It would be one thing if it were an actual repentance and redemption type story, but it's not.  It's just coming to peace with what you've done wrong, and the quixotic acceptance of your mistakes as "essential" for getting you to where you are in a given moment.  A strange, perverted sense of nirvana, certainly.

Of course, not strange enough to prevent SJWs, feminists and others from swooning with delight at a celebration of perversity. I gave the book up in disgust after about 20-25% and wondered how in the world it came so highly recommended before discovering that it was a darling of the Oprah book club.  No wonder.  She still wasn't even hiking yet.

That said, I was kind of hoping that I could still watch the movie for the scenery, if nothing else, hoping that I could somehow manage to force myself not to retch and gag on the ridiculous premise of a ridiculous person (who, let's not forget, is actually a real person, and these are actually real events.  Just tragic.)  However, since the movie will be rated R for sexual content, nudity, drug use and language, I won't.

Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment