Need to be replaced
- Shoes. I don't really want to go back into the mountains without mid-height shoes. Besides, by nearly a year from now, my existing shoes will have significantly more wear and tear on them. Right now, probably looking at some Keen or Merrell $100 light hikers like the Moab Ventilator or the Kovens. If I'm OK spending a few bucks more, I might have a look at either some New Balance 703s or the Cabela's XPG Hikers.
- Sleeping bag. The bag I had was too light. Wasn't warm enough. I need to pick up something like a Kelty Cosmic Down bag.
- Camera. I didn't like the camera I used at all. I need a new one, or to at least bring one of our newer, better ones when I go. I'd like to have my own backpacking camera ideally, though.
- Compass. My compass got eaten/dissolved by a leaky DEET bottle. These are cheap, though.
- Permethrin. I'll need to retreat my clothes. My existing treatment's probably already worn off, or will be shortly.
- Map. Needless to say, my Wasatch and Uintas maps won't be much use in the Sawtooth Mountains.
Would LIKE to replace... but don't need to
- Stove. I don't have one. If I plan on cooking anything without mooching off the stove of my friend, I'll need to pick up a JetBoil Zip Cooking system. This also includes a fuel canister (sold separately) of course.
- A lighter and some kind of scrubbing pad. Cheap. No biggie.
- Pillow. I was quite uncomfortable. Inflatable pillows ain't cheap, though--the Exped Air Pillow is $40 bucks; $50 for the size I'd rather take.
- Tent. Although I wasn't unhappy with my tent, really... I'd still love to get something like a Eureka Midori 2, or the Cabela's XPG 2-person. Probably won't, though. Too much money. I do still need to outfit my son too, after all.